United Kingdom: Boris Johnson participated in a party for his birthday in full confinement


British Prime Minister Boris Johnson celebrated his birthday in the company of relatives in full confinement despite the rules in force, the ITV television channel said on Monday, overwhelming the Conservative leader already criticized for parties in Downing Street.

• Read also: Boris Johnson on an ejection seat in the face of the rebellion of his majority

• Read also: Boris Johnson announces the end of most restrictions in England

• Read also: “Partygate”: accused of lying, Boris Johnson defends himself

According to ITV, Boris Johnson participated in this party organized by his wife Carrie on June 19, 2020 in the afternoon, during the first confinement, when such gatherings were then prohibited.

Up to 30 people are said to have attended, including interior designer Lulu Lytle, who was tasked with carrying out the costly renovation of Boris Johnson’s controversially funded Downing Street apartment.

According to a Downing Street spokeswoman, Boris Johnson would have participated “less than ten minutes” in this gathering of his collaborators.

ITV news indicates that friends of the Johnson family would have participated in another event organized on the evening of June 19 on the floor of the residence, which his services denied.

“It is totally false. In accordance with the rules at the time, the Prime Minister welcomed a small number of his family members outside that evening,” Downing Street said.

Implicated for a series of parties in Downing Street in full confinement, Boris Johnson, 57, is undergoing his worst crisis since his triumphant accession to power in the summer of 2019.

Anger over the parties, which came as people were asked to drastically reduce their interactions, caused his popularity to plummet in opinion polls.

The head of government has so far escaped a vote of no confidence from his conservative camp and refers to the conclusions of the internal investigation carried out by senior civil servant Sue Gray, which should be published soon.

Former influential adviser to Boris Johnson, Dominic Cummings refused to be interviewed as part of this investigation, saying that if he accepted, “the Prime Minister would invent (have) absurd stories”. He preferred to testify in writing.

Mr Cummings, who has regularly launched attacks on his former leader since his departure at the end of 2020 amid infighting, warned that “other damaging stories” would emerge if the Prime Minister did not step down.

See also



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.