Peru: 900 people evacuated from Machu Picchu after floods


Some 900 people have been evacuated from the tourist town of Machu Picchu Pueblo, a short walk from the jewel of Inca culture in Peru, as rains and floods left one missing and destroyed homes, the ministry said on Monday. tourism.

• Read also: 2021 is one of seven hottest years on record, confirms UN

• Read also: Extreme weather: $2 billion in insurable damage in Canada in 2021

• Read also: Peru declares an ‘environmental emergency’ after an oil spill hits its shores

“So far, in coordination with the companies Inka Rail and Peru Rail, (we have) managed to transfer 889 tourists from Machu Picchu Pueblo to Ollantaytambo”, two sites blocked after a river overflowed on Friday, the ministry said. in a press release.

One person was injured, another is missing and several buildings and the railway line were damaged. The missing person had still not been found on Monday, according to local authorities.

At the same time, access to villages around Machu Picchu was blocked on Monday by farmers’ protests, including the resignation of Agriculture Minister Victor Maita, according to La Republica newspaper.

The protest also blocked access to the railroad to Machu Picchu, used for flood-related emergencies.

This railway is the main way to access the Inca Citadel from Cusco — the former capital of the Inca Empire.

Due to rain damage to the railway line, train service for tourists was already scheduled to be suspended until at least January 27, Peru Rail reported.

Some 447,800 people visited the historic site of Machu Picchu in 2021, compared to 1.5 million before the pandemic.

SEE ALSO…



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.