Apple has released a major update for all of its OS. If iOS 14.5 gathers a lot of attention, we should not ignore the macOS 11.3 update which also brings its share of new features.
Perhaps this is due to the particular situation of this period, but Apple seems to be changing the development of its ecosystem. The firm still relies on very important updates each year for each of its devices, but offers intermediate updates increasingly rich in new features.
The launch of the iOS 14.5 update is the perfect example, with its many changes, especially on the privacy side. On the Mac side, the macOS 11.3 update is starting and is now available for download.
What’s new in macOS 11.3
This new version brings some important changes, especially for machines that use an Apple M1 chip like the MacBook Air or the MacBook Pro. Now the iPhone and iPad applications that can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store will be better managed by the system with the possibility of managing the keyboard and the mouse for new titles or the fact of being able to change the size of the window. ‘an app.
For gamers, note the support, like iOS 14.5, for the new PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers | S. Admittedly, there are few games that can be enjoyed, especially on M1 devices, but this compatibility is great news for Apple Arcade titles and cloud gaming services. As long as we talk about compatibility, this update also allows macOS to manage the new Apple AirTags.
Apple’s release notes
Here is the list of new features as described by Apple.
AirTag and Locate
- AirTag support to keep track of and find your important items, such as keys, wallet, backpack and more, confidentially and securely in the Find My app
- The Find My network, which has hundreds of millions of devices, can help you find your AirTag, even if it’s not nearby
- Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number to be contacted
IPhone and iPad apps on Macs with the Apple chip
- Option to change the window size of an iPhone and iPad app
- Support for displaying the best possible resolutions version of an iPhone or iPad app in full screen
- Keyboard support for iPhone and iPad games designed to use the device’s tilt
- Keyboard, mouse, and trackpad support for iPhone and iPad games that support gamepads
- Support for different skin colors for each person in all variations of the Kissing Couple Emoji and the Couple with a Heart Emoji
- New Face Emoji, Heart Emoji, Woman With Beard Emoji
- AutoPlay causes music to play continuously, automatically starting a similar song when you reach the end of a song or playlist
- City rankings show what’s popular in over 100 cities around the world
- The podcast pages have been redesigned to make it easier to start listening
- Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your library for quick access
- Download behavior and notification settings can be customized for each podcast
- Popular search rankings and categories help you discover new podcasts
- The order of the sections of the start page can now be customized
- Additional WebExtensions APIs allow developers to offer extensions that replace the new tab page
- Web Speech API allows developers to incorporate speech recognition into their web pages for captioning, dictation, and real-time voice navigation
- Support for WebM and Vorbis video and audio formats
- Possibility to sort the smart list Today
- Support for syncing the order of reminders in lists across all your devices
- Possibility to print your reminders lists
- Support for Xbox Series X | S and Sony PS5 DualSense ™ wireless controllers
The update is available now.